Friday, November 15, 2013

Nothing Exciting - Just About Walking

This morning while dropping off the girls at school, I had, what I thought, was an interesting short conversation with a lady.

I should first preface this by saying that due to the transportation cuts more kids are walking to school and a whole lot more are being dropped off via car than ever before.  Traffic can be total mayhem on some days, so that's why we are going to walk (both before and after school) as much as we can this year - to avoid the traffic!

Since there are sooo many more vehicles dropping off kids in the morning, the school started having parent volunteers help out in the morning during the drop-off time.  They help direct the traffic and get the kids out of the vehicles, so that the vehicles can keep moving more efficiently.

This morning there was one lady helping that I hadn't seen before.  As I was heading back out to the sidewalk to walk home, she started talking to me.  She told me that she's seen me walk for quite a while and has watched the progression of how times change. Where when I started I was pushing two kids in a stroller, then I was down to one in a stroller.  And then I had one in preschool, so I took her back home with me, and now you are dropping all three of them off!  She asked how old is my oldest, and I told her 4th grade.  She said her oldest is in 5th grade, so she has watched me for a long time :o)

It just strikes me as me as interesting sometimes when I hear someone say "yeah, I see you walking your girls to school".  And it's usually from someone you don't really expect to hear it from . . . like this parent you've never met before or a nurse at nearby office.

I also had an instance the other year when I would have this car honk and wave at me, like they knew me, but I had absolutely no clue who it was!  It happened on the same day almost every week, but nobody I knew had a car matching the description.  I kept waving whenever they honked hoping that one day I would know who it was that I was waving to.  And I did eventually figure it out.  One day I was finally able to get a good look at the driver, and here it ended up being one of my mom's first cousins!  What a relief to finally know who it was I was waving at, and, of course, from then on, I waved and smiled a bit more enthusiastically.  :o)

With this all said, I guess it just goes to show how busy our road really is.  One thing I can take away from this is that I should probably make sure I don't pick my nose or do anything embarrassing since I have no idea who might be driving by! :o)




No comments: