Friday, April 20, 2012

Is That Homemade Bread I Smell?

For whatever reason, the other day I got in my head that I'd like to try and make our own bread from scratch.  I posted this idea on Facebook to get some good bread recipes.  I only got one email response with a recipe, and it was a whole lot more involved than I was anticipating.

I then talked with another friend, who I knew made her own bread with a bread machine, to see about trying to make it that way instead.  I then discovered that she just uses the machine to do all the work, but then puts the dough into the oven to bake.  She was gracious enough to let me have her recipe to give it a try.

I then went online searching for what type of bread machine I should possibly invest in.  After talking with my friend again, she mentioned that it probably didn't matter a whole lot on what make it was and offhandedly mentioned that her mom had bought her two extra bread machines at The Depot.  The next day I decided to check out The Depot just to see if they even had any and lo and behold they did!  And I bought it . . . for $20.  Figured I'd try it out, see if this is something I would enjoy doing, and then if it was, I could invest in a better machine once this used one konked out.

So this morning after dropping Janae off at school, Kaycie and I went to Walmart to buy all the ingredients we would need.  Then after lunch I decided now was as good of a time as any to try my first experience ever on making bread, and about 2 1/2 hours later the house smelled wonderful!



I was quite surprised at  how easy it was and that it turned out so nice looking!  We didn't have our first taste of the bread until after supper, but it was definitely worth the wait!  It was great!!!  With all of this said, my goal is to start making our own bread instead of buying it at the store.  One more small step to start eating a healthier diet.


1 comment:

Aleta Schrock said...

Yummy! Makes me want to dig out our bread machine which has lain dormant for a number of years.