Sunday, April 29, 2012

Project Piano Bench

A few days after we got our piano, I got the notion to try and re-do the top of the bench as it is not in the greatest looking shape.  I've seen many DIY segments on TV and my brain started turning on how I could do this.  A plan started taking shape.

Here are the before pictures:






My plan was to find some wood no more than maybe 1/4" thick and wrap it in fabric.  My next decision was on how to attach it to the bench.  My solution - velcro!

I went to The Depot to look for something else but soon discovered that they had a lot of upholstry scraps that would be big enough for me to use.  I decided that would be the way to go instead of just normal cotton fabric.  I found some that I thought would go really well with our living room colors.  I bought that for $1.00. 

After talking with dad, he said he'd have some sheets of wood that would work, but Rodney would have to cut it down to the size I needed.  I picked it up on Friday, and then bought the velcro I needed at Walmart for less than $4.00.

I then thought that I should probably wrap the wood in some sort of batting to help protect the fabric and lo and behold, I found I had some in storage. :o)

Saturday morning Rodney cut two pieces to size and I glued them together later.  Now today I took on the challenge of actually seeing if my project would turn out.

Wrapping my board in batting.



Upholstry fabric wrapped and stapled around the board.  Figuring out how to do the corners so it wasn't so thick was more challenging than I was counting on, but I did figure it out. :o)


Velcro strips



The final result!  Turned out pretty good if I do say so myself :o)





No comments: